Sauder Press Release
Spring into spring with 5 must-have décor tips
Refresh your space with easy style ideas from
Sauder furniture designers
ARCHBOLD, Ohio — March 21, 2014 — Spring is a celebration of rebirth and rejuvenation, so why not revive your indoor décor? Now is the time to get your home out of hibernation. These tips from pro designers will give you a new look for spring without the expensive price tag.
“It’s been a long winter, and homeowners are really looking to shake their cabin fever,” says Trend & Design Manager John Amell with Sauder Woodworking Co. “Now, with spring cleaning in full swing and fresh colors all around, it’s the perfect time to awaken your home.”
From granule to grandiose, here are five must-have tips to help chase away those winter blues.
1. Color me yellowAfter surviving the polar vortex, who isn’t ready for an infusion of this sunny shade? For a more demure approach, grab a few bunches of daffodils on your next trip to the grocery store. Or, if you’re all in, try sprucing up your look with a few yellow furniture pieces. Amell recommends incorporating yellow hues into chairs, side tables and ottomans for an affordable, unexpected impact.
2. Let there be (natural) lightMake good use of the extra hours of sunlight that spring offers. Flood your home in natural light by arranging mirrors so they reflect the light coming in from your windows. This can help small rooms feel bigger. Plus, mirrors come in all shapes and sizes and can fit any budget, if you’re looking to add to your collection.
“Nothing says spring quite like nature, and the right use of sunlight can help bring a piece of it into your home,” says Mark Strayer, principal designer with Sauder.
3. Function forwardNow that winter is over, beautify your home to do the things you love, whether it’s decluttering the craft room or reorganizing the kitchen. Channeling that natural nesting energy into organization will pay off big-time. Start with rearranging the pantry and going through craft supplies to decide what to keep, what to toss and what to donate. Then check out some organizational furniture, including kitchen carts and craft cupboards, to keep things tidy year-round.
4. Go bold with neutralsEverywhere you look, you see the latest new neutrals, such as plum, mossy green and warm gray. Mixing these shades with traditional creams or tans instantaneously creates a fresh, updated look. Use throw pillows, blankets or a new paint job in these new neutrals to update your space, or go big with a new neutral sofa. Whatever you choose, you’ll love your new look.
For the bold at heart, Sauder Designer Lacey Campbell suggests mixing patterns and textures with a subdued, neutral color palette to create a statement without the shock value.
5. Hostess-readyThrough Pinterest, we’re seeing entertaining trends focused on thoughtful details. Plan ahead for your warmer-month fetes by making your space party-ready now. It could mean setting up a mobile bar cart in your living room, or investing in something special like a gourmet stand or cubby storage cabinet. Campbell encourages you to keep going and take your hostess-ready design to the next level.
“Personalization is so important to any space, and creating beverage stations is a perfect way to let your unique style shine,” she says. “Try glassware that’s colorful and funky or sleek and sophisticated. Or go with bar tools and even cocktail napkins. Don’t miss out on your chance to really let your tastes show.”
With so many trends, it’s hard to go wrong when updating your look this spring. The only no-nos: breaking the bank and limiting your own style.
“Great décor happens when you latch onto trends but make them your own,” Amell said. “Fun, seasonal touches can add some flavor as you curate your own style over time. Look for options that leave room in your budget to create more style-shaping experiences.”
About SauderManufactured in America’s heartland for almost 80 years, Sauder Woodworking Co. is the leading North American producer of ready-to-assemble furniture. A family run business based in Archbold, Ohio, Sauder embraces sustainability measures that reuse and recycle more than 98 percent of its solid waste materials. The company currently offers more than 30 furniture collections that enable everyone to experience the joy of affordable style. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and YouTube. Learn more at Sauder.com.
1. Color me yellow
Original Cottage X-back Chair, Melon Yellow, $119.99
Soft Modern Side Table, Yellow Saffron Finish, $49.99
Soft Modern Upholstered Storage Ottoman, Champagne Metallic $39.99
2. Natural light
Harbor View Mirror, Salt Oak Finish, $109.99
Carson Forge Mirror, Washington Cherry Finish, $89.99
Harbor View Craft Armoire, Antiqued White Finish, $399.99
Original Cottage Mobile Kitchen Island, Rainwater Finish, $339.99
4. New neutrals
Crash Sofa Convertible, Dark Gray, $369.99
Estate Ivory Sofa Convertible, $489.99
Carson Forge Gourmet Stand, Washington Cherry Finish, $259.99
Soft Modern Cubby Storage Cabinet, Fine Walnut Finish, $279.99